City of Morrow residents may obtain a permit for outdoor burning between October 1st and April 30th. Outdoor burning is banned in the metro Atlanta area between May 1st and September 30th. Residents are allowed to burn leaves, small limbs and pine straw only. Large limbs, trees stumps, construction materials and garbage may not be burned. Burning shall not start before 0900 AM and shall be extinguished by dusk. No burning shall be conducted without having first obtained a permit from the City of Morrow Fire Department, call 770-961-4008 to obtain a burn permit. Permits are good for one day only and may be revoked for cause. There is no cost for a residential burning permit. If you have questions concerning outdoor burning call the Fire Department at 770-961-4008. Open burning without a permit is subject to a fine and a court citation. The Fire Department shall make the determination to approve or not approve open burning for the day based on: current weather conditions, future weather forecasts, State wide burn bands, Red Flag warnings, or other factors.
Important items for residents each time a burn permit is issued:
- An adult must be present while burning.
- A water hose shall be readily accessible while burning.
- Piles of leaves, small limbs or pine straw shall be no larger than 4ft x 4ft.
- No burning before 0900 and all fires must be extinguished before dusk.
- Permits can be revoked by Fire Department personnel for cause. Cause may include but is not limited to:
- Complaints by neighbors.
- Excessive burning.
- Change in weather conditions.